Greaser Style Images
The Greaser look never goes out of style.
The Outsiders Jeopardy Quiz
Test your Outsiders knowledge with this Jeopardy! style quiz!
S.E. Hinton's official website. She is an intensely private person, but shares a few details about her life and work here.
Thug Notes - The Outsiders
Sparky Sweets, Ph.D: We takin' it to the STREETS with The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton.
Listen to the audiobook.
Listen to the voice of Ponyboy in this Audiobook.
The Outsiders movie
Enjoy this fan-made trailer of the movie.
Maybe you could make your own book or movie trailer?
How to get the Greaser look!
How to rock the greaser hairstyle.
How to get the Greaser look 2
#1. Hair pomade: any supermarket or Priceline.
#2. White t-shirt: K-Mart, Target. Not loose fitting, please!
#3. Blue jeans: your wardrobe, turned-up cuffs preferred.
#4. Shoes: Any shoe shop. Fakes are OK, it's all about the look.
#5. Leather jacket: pricey, but a common find in op-shops. Try St Vinnies or Savers for good deals. Plus old, worn-in ones are better than new.
#6. Comb: keep in your back pocket to stay looking cool.
You're good to go!
Take a greaser quiz!
Spark Notes: The Outsiders.
Plot overview, character analysis, themes, symbols & motifs.
Like Spark notes, only cliffier.
Top 10 Greaser Movies of all Time!
Click here for a preview of the best greaser movies.
Is this guide helpful? Let us know!
Outsiders Trivia: Impress your friends with these facts!
DID YOU KNOW?
- S.E.Hinton started writing The Outsiders when she was 15 years old.
- The story is set in her home town, Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Wrote "The Outsiders" , inspired after a friend was beaten up on his way home from the movies.
- A TV series was made about the book.
- It was ranked #38 on the American Library Association’s Top 100 Most Frequently Challenged Books of 1990–1999. A "challenged" book is oe that parents try to have banned.
- This book has been banned from some schools and libraries because of the portrayal of gang violence, underage smoking and drinking, as well as strong language/slang and family dysfunction.
- It has sold over 14 million copies.
- It has been translated in over 30 languages.
- It was based on real-life gangs in her high school.
- "Socs" is pronounced "soshes" for Socials.
- She originally didn't inntend to publish it, until a friend’s mother contacted an agent in New York, and soon Viking Press signed Hinton for a $1,000 advance.
- Her publisher suggested that Hinton use her initials instead of her full name due to concerns that readers and reviewers alike would automatically dismiss a book about teenage boys written by a teenage girl.
- Her first royalty cheque was for $100.00
- SE Hinton played small roles in the movie adaptations of her books.
- The Outsiders changed young adult literature, making it more accessible and real.
- The Outsiders has never been out of print.
- Noted director Francis Ford Coppola has directed two adaptations of her novels.
- She is still writing, but has turned to fiction for younger children.
- She has been married to David Inhofe, a software engineer, since 1970. She has two sons and loves horses.
- What drove Hinton to write from a male point of view in the first place? As she explains on her site, the initial choice reflected her own sensibility, but it was also strategic. “I started using male characters just because it was easiest. [I] was a tomboy, most of my close friends were boys, and I figured nobody would believe a girl would know anything about my subject matter. I have kept on using male characters because (1) boys have fewer books written for them (2) girls will read boys' books, boys usually won't read girls', and (3) it is still the easiest for me."
- She suffered from writers' block for two years.